My Top Ten Summer Reads

5/23/2017


Over here in England, things have started heating up. Suddenly it’s too hot to wear a jacket, and the sun’s still shining after 8pm. Ironically, The Broke and Bookish decided to set this week’s topic as a Summer Freebie. It’s like they know!! So I decided to do my top ten summer reads. Some of books in this list I read in summer, others I’d like to and a few just gave me the summer tingles when I read them!




To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han – I bet most people are listing Jenny Han’s other novel, The Summer I Turned Pretty this week, but it’s her other series that speaks to me the most. I read To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before two summers ago, when I was just entering the world of YA. I can never let go of the nostalgia and love I felt while reading this book, and every summer I look for a book that will make me feel the same way.




Just One Day by Gayle Forman – This is the first of two travelling books on my list. Summer is the time of year where people go on holiday, so of course I’d pick a book where the main character goes abroad! Allyson goes for a spontaneous trip to Paris with a cute boy, reading about all the different sights in the book made me really want to go there this summer!




Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson – Another book two summers ago. Actually, I read it all in one hot night! Since You’ve Been Gone is the perfect summer read! It’s set during summer when the main character’s friends goes missing and leaves her a bucket list to achieve during her summer holiday. One of my favourite things about this book is that it had a playlist! And some of the songs were country. Romance, summer and country music?? Win win!




The Mediator By Meg Cabot – We’re taking it back a bit now to an older book. The Mediator was one of my favourite series when I was younger. The main character is so sassy, it’s fantastic! Why is this on the list? It’s set in California where it’s always warm! Savannah fights ghosts and shares a room with a hot one at that. A tantalising romance series for the summer.




Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks – Two summers ago really was a good time for reading because this is yet another amazing book that I read then. I could’ve put any Nicholas Sparks book on this list, hell, I could’ve made the whole list out of Nicholas Sparks books! The majority of his books are usually set in summer or on the beach. Perhaps that’s the most romantic setting! But out of all of them Safe Haven really stands out to me because there’s more than just romance in it. You get more than one perspective, and there’s a bit of mystery to it too! Plus, a seaside town, what could go wrong there?




When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon– It’s probably quite clear from this list and previous top ten Tuesdays that I am a massive fan of romances! They make me weak at the knees. So it’s no surprise that I’d want a new one! When Dimple Met Rishi is set in alternating perspectives and tells the story of Dimple and Rishi, didn’t see that one coming did you, who are arranged to be married. Their parents set their first meeting at a summer program. I’ve seen so many people reviewing When Dimple Met Rishi, and it’s great to read about characters who have a different culture to mine. As soon as it comes out in the UK I am buying it and reading it!




The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman – A more sombre pick, The Light Between Oceans would be very fitting as a summer read as it’s set on an island. There’s even a lighthouse on the cover! That would mean lots of beach scenes I’m sure. This one is meant to be a tear-jerker but would definitely be a cool down from all those steamy romances.




Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert – I’m sure lots of people are planning a few holidays around this time of year, so it’s a great idea to turn to books for some travel inspiration. Eat Pray Love is just that! There are three destinations in one, plus a nice bit of romance at the end. In Elizabeth Gilbert’s memoir, she tracks her ventures to Italy, India and Indonesia. I remember reading this at the beginning of the summer last year and I found myself starving when it got to Gilbert talking about ice cream and pizza! It’s definitely a great book to get you out exploring this summer.




A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin – I feel like it’s not summer without reading a massive book. It’s the perfect time for it! The Song of Ice and Fire series is a great option to go for as you get the best of both worlds! In Daenerys’ Targaryen chapters you get the stifling heat of Essos. Meanwhile, in the north of Westeros, you get to prepare yourself for winter with Jon Snow.




Girl Online by Zoe Sugg – Last but not least on my list, a refreshing short read by Youtube’s Zoe Sugg. Experience being whisked away to New York, getting in a few nooks and crannies with a hunky popstar named Noah, and also get the local feel of Brighton’s beaches. Like Just One Day, Sugg refers to lots of different landmarks in the book, so you really feel like you’re there. I’ve still got the last book in this series to read, so perhaps I’ll take a trip to Brighton and read it on the train!


That’s all for my Top Ten Tuesday! Summer really is one of the best times of year. Sitting outside with a good book, enjoying warm evenings on the porch flicking through the pages, re-reading old favourites. Ooh! It makes me feel all warm inside! Feel free to leave your TTTs in the comment section below, and let me know what your favourite summer reads are!


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. It's always nice when books remind us of summer! Just One Day sounds awesome, because Paris? Since You've Been Gone just LOOKS summery, and Game of Thrones would be a good summertime read, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paris, I know! Any book that's set in another country makes you want to go on holiday! Still waiting for Winds of Winter..

      Delete
  2. While I read "Game of Thrones" and the other ASoIaF books in winter I definitely agree that summer is the perfect season to tackle some big books since for me it's usually the season when I get the most reading done. It's just perfect for sitting outside all day and doing nothing but reading and enjoying the sun until it's too dark to see the words :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You feel more awake when the sun's out for longer too! There's more excuses to stay up all night reading. Have you got any big books in mind to read this summer? :)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love Morgan Matson books for their summery feel :) Same with the To All The Boys I've Loved Before trilogy. And of course I'm super excited for When Dimple Met Rishi! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so lovely aren't they! I haven't read The Unexpected Everything so that'll be the next one on my list!

      Delete

Subscribe