My Top 5 Most Anticipated Summer Shows

4/30/2017


Show Sunday number three is here! I didn’t see any shows at the cinema this week so no reviews today. When thinking about that fact it dawned on me that I have not seen a live performance in a good few months. I’m shocked! Summer is the golden season for shows, and like every year there is plenty to go see. In light of that, I thought I’d use this Sunday to tell you guys what I’m looking forward to seeing the most.



The Addams Family – Surprisingly I know hardly anything about the famous television series of the same name, the musical adaptation will be an introduction to the whole franchise for me. The Addams Family are touring in the UK for the very first time so it’s not to be missed. Having just opened at their first destination, Edinburgh, they too have been greeted with positive reviews.  Youtuber/Author, Carrie Hope Fletcher, stars as Wednesday Addams in this classic, curiosity plays a big part in me wanting to see her perform. I’ve seen her show her talent online but I’ve wanted to see it in person since she starred in Les Miserables! I’m excited to learn more about the musical and why everyone loves this odd family so much. A must-see for me indeed!



Funny Girl – After all the hype and drama that happened surrounding Funny Girl last year it’s no surprise that I wouldn’t have this show on my list. Funny Girl is a classic and was highly acclaimed for its revival last summer. Unfortunately, I missed it in the West End due to exam season, but luckily they decided to tour it, hurrah! Fingers crossed I’ll get tickets to see Natasha J Barnes star as Fanny Brice at the Marlowe Theatre this week!



An American in Paris – This musical has made its home at the Dominion Theatre for a while now, and I still have yet to see it. Based on the 1951 film of the same name, An Americanin Paris has received 5 star reviews; I’m anticipating it to have a timeless atmosphere too. If I see at least one West End musical this year I will make sure it is this one. Expectations are high for this one, I’m pretty sure I’ll love it despite not knowing much about it yet.



Jane Eyre – Charlotte Brontë astounded me with this favourite classic of mine. A play by Polly Teale at Shared Experience introduced me to this inspiring novel in the first place; although I have read it I have not seen it. I have been craving to see a stage adaptation of Jane Eyre since I first encountered the story, so finding out that the National Theatre and Bristol Old Vic have joined forces to create a new play is fantastic news! To add to that, it gained 5 star reviews at the National Theatre. You will definitely see me at the Marlowe checking this one out. 



Working – One day I was checking my emails and I noticed that this had popped into my inbox. Written by Stephen Schwartz, creator of Wicked, in the 1970s, this musical has been refined with new songs added by Lin-Manuel Miranda, known for Hamilton and Moana. Working had never crossed my path before and I am very curious to see what it’s all about. For a short time this musical will be performed at the Southwark Playhouse, a theatre that I have yet to visit. Seeing this show will be a complete wildcard which I’m hoping will ignite a new passion from this discovery.

It’s a good line up isn’t it! I’m really hoping I can see all five shows. Perhaps nearer the time I’ll find more shows to see too. As of right now there is no opera on the list, after seeing Madama Butterfly last month, I have really wanted to see another opera, so that’ll be something to look out for. Well that’s all for today, I hope some of the shows on my list have sparked your interest! Feel free to comment below and let me know what ones take your fancy.


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'd love to have the opportunity to see any of these - I'd bet The Addams Family would be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe