March Wrap-Up

3/31/2017



It’s April already! Can you believe it? This year has flown by! There are so many books to read and so little time. Anyway, onto today’s topic. What did I read in March?

March was quite a busy month for me, I started working at a new job and spent quite a bit of time getting this new blog organised. Not to mention the fact that I have been obsessed with the TV series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Seriously, how have I not watched it until now?! Unfortunately, reading went into the background a bit this month as I only read 3 books. But it’s still enough to do my first wrap-up, so let’s get cracking!



Uglies by ScottWesterfeld

This dystopian novel had been sitting on my shelf for a while now, so I decided to finally give it a read. I’m sad to say Uglies was my least favourite book of the month. Pretty soon after I’d picked it up, I wanted to put it back down again. While the concept drew me in (everyone is surgically turned “pretty”), the characters and format put me off. Chapters would start from the middle of the page and it made them feel longer than they actually were. Furthermore, each chapter is named after something an event within it, which can spoil what will happen. Halfway through, I read a review about Uglies and I couldn’t shake one of the comments they made. They said that they couldn’t  admire and support a main character who is a betrayer. I won’t go into a lot of detail (spoilers) but Tally makes quite a lot of mistakes that are pretty unredeemable. To top all of this off, whenever anything exciting happened, I read it like it was an everyday event.

I ended up rating it 3/5 stars. Although there were lots of things I didn’t enjoy, I did like the concept, descriptions and Tally does manage to somewhat make up for things at the end! I’m undecided on whether I’ll read the rest of the series. We’ll just have to wait and see!



Just One Day by Gayle Forman

After finishing Uglies, I decided that I needed to read something romantic that I was certain I’d like. Having read three of Forman’s novels already, I had high expectations for this one. I’m glad to say that I wasn’t disappointed! Just One Day was like a breath of fresh air! Whenever I read a Gayle Forman book I forget about how long I’ve been reading or how far I am in the book, I savor the whole story from beginning to end. Forman’s writing is simple and detailed, her characters are always relateable and there are references to subjects that I love! This time it was Shakespeare. Who doesn’t love a good Shakespeare quote?!

Expect a review in the coming weeks. Just One Day was a full 5/5 stars!



High Stakes from The Mediator by Meg Cabot

Last but not least was a childhood favourite of mine. Last year I found out that Meg Cabot has released another book in The Mediator series so I have decided to re-read the whole thing. I was obsessed with it when I was younger so it’s not surprising that I’d still love it now. If you like Buffy then you’d love Susannah, she is the sassiest ghost whisperer in town and never lets anyone push her around. Someone could say that this book is too corny as it’s full of cheesy lines, but who cares?! It’s a little bit silly and fun! Not to mention that it’s a quick read and the male protagonist is Spanish and ridiculously hot! Well, in my imagination. Unfortunately, I did find that it wasn’t quite as exciting as I remembered but it was still a great past time.

Overall, I gave this one 4/5 stars. Looks like it’s still got that pizazz!

So that was all that I read in the month of March. I’m looking forward to seeing what April brings. Now you’ve heard about my reading month, I’d love to hear about yours. What did you read? Any favourites? What are your plans for April?

Let me know in the comments down below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe